On February 24, 2023, activists around the country held protest rallies outside a number Federal electoral offices to express opposition to the secretive AUKUS security pact and the Federal government’s ill-considered decision to acquire a fleet of nuclear powered submarines.
Organised by the Australian Anti-AUKUS Coalition (AAAC), these protests were held outside the offices of:
- Anthony Albanese MP, Prime Minister (Marrickville, NSW)
- Richard Marles MP, Deputy Prime Minister & Minister for Defence (Geelong, Vic)
- Senator Penny Wong, Minister for Foreign Affairs (Adelaide, SA)
- Pat Conroy MP, Minister for Defence Industry (Belmont, NSW)
- Dr Jim Chalmers MP, Treasurer (Logan Central, Qld)
- Matt Keogh MP, Minister for Defence Personnel (Kelmscott, WA)
- Senator Kate Gallagher, Minister for Finance, Women and Public Service (Phillip, ACT)
The AAAC brings together peace, union and faith organisations plus Australians from various walks of life.
At the Sydney protest outside the Prime Minister’s electoral office in Marrickville, Nick Deane, from Marrickville Peace Group, told the rally that the real emergency — global climate change — was being overlooked in favour of a new arms race in preparation for a war on China.
A letter opposing the march to war was delivered to the Prime Minister’s office.
IPAN, ‘Protests at Federal MP’s electorate offices across Australia’, Media Release, February 22, 2023.