Sydney’s ‘Welcome Refugees’ rally, held in Belmore Park on Sunday 19 April, attracted over 3000.
The Refugee Action Coalition (RAC) reported that this year’s rally was as big as last year’s well attended Palm Sunday rally, despite the date having to be changed due to trackwork being carried out on the city’s rail system on 29 March.
Speakers at the rally included Ian Rintoul (Spokesperson, Refugee Action Coalition Sydney), Graeme McGregor (Refugee Campaign Coordinator, Amnesty International Australia), Ged Kearney (President, ACTU), Dr Sue Wareham (Vice President, Medical Association for Prevention of War), Kyol Blakeney (President, SRC University of Sydney), Lydia Shelly (Islamophobia Register) and Shokufa Tahiri (Hazara Women for Change).
Read Sue Wareham’s full speech here.
View video clips of the speakers at the rally below:
- Ian Rintoul – speech (part 1 and part 2)
- Graeme McGregor – speech (part 1 and part 2)
- Ged Kearney – speech (part 1 and part 2)
- Sue Wareham – speech (part 1 and part 2)
- Kyol Blakeney – speech
- Lydia Shelly – speech (part 1, part 2 and part 3)
- Shokufa Tahiri – speech and poem
Source of video clips: LaborForRefugees.